Saturday, February 25, 2012

Back up and rolling!

I received permission this week from the doctor to do some skating. Whoo! It's been pretty freaking exciting. I did some light skating in the beginners rink on adult night plus received permission to skate a bit in practice. I'm noticeably behind in practice, but I feel like not being on skates for awhile made it okay in my mind. I know it doesn't help me any in testing, but at least I feel like I've been trying my hardest and there's nothing else I could really do.

My doctor's note clearing me for practice doesn't actually take effect until the 27th, so I wasn't able to do the Level 1 testing this past week. It's a little disappointing. I really wanted to know where I stand on various moves as of now, so I know what to work on, what I'm doing wrong, etc. Per the doctor's orders, I'm supposed to do 30 minutes on, 10 minutes off, with up to an hour of skating for the first week, and slowly increase it as time goes on. The doctor was afraid if I actually skated at practice and not just at open skate, that I might push myself too hard. However, with my schedule, if I didn't skate at practice, I knew I wasn't going to be able to skate more than maybe once a week. The league owners weren't there on Monday, so since the doctor's note was dated for the 27th, no skating for me. On Wednesday though, the league owners were back so I was able to get permission to skate as long as I took it easy.

I skated mostly pain-free for practice. Any time I noticed pain, I stopped. The ankle itself rarely hurts anymore. We're still having problems with the plantar fascia, which the physical therapist thinks I strained trying to take pressure off of the ankle. Even that though is getting better so long as I keep doing my daily stretches. (I've been horrible about doing them this week.)

I made great strides this week though! For example - the more I skated, the more painful the ankle was before. I reached a point at the end there where six laps was my max. SIX. I did 16 on Wednesday before my ankle was ready to give out (though the last few were noticeably slower). We have a month to go before we test for our 25 in 5, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get my endurance up by then. My crossovers are improving majorly now that I can actually put weight on my right foot. They're still not spectacular and they completely fall apart as my leg tires out, but it's still a win that they've improved not by skating, but through physical therapy. Makes me feel a little better about last recruitment. A little.

No comments:

Post a Comment