Sunday, June 26, 2011

Crossovers!

Skate class yesterday was fantastic. I mean, I sucked at everything we did, but we had a different teacher this time around and she not only pushed us, but she made sure she took time with everyone to try to help us with what we're doing wrong. My stance is entirely wrong on backwards skating so I have to spend the week trying to practice standing with my toes in and my knees super bent. My knees are actually a huge part of my skating problem. Apparently I need to bend them a lot more than I have been, but it just doesn't feel natural to me. I see other people skating and it always looks like they're all standing up. On the other hand, I bend to the point they keep telling me to and it feels like I'm hovering over a public toilet.

We started crossovers though. I've never actually seen a Level 2 class do crossovers. In fact, I watched the Level 3s learn how to do them and how to backwards skate, so I was never expecting Level 2s to do either. I suck at them, but I was able to do them enough that I felt what people were talking about with the sudden burst of speed when you do crossovers. I actually let myself glide a few times around corners instead of crossing over because the speed was a bit overwhelming for me.

Yes, I realize I totally fail as a skater. It had me doubting whether or not I want to do derby. I've always been fairly decent at sports, so it's a bit demoralizing to find myself sucking so much at this. Blech.

No comments:

Post a Comment