Sunday, July 24, 2011

So far behind...

I feel so far behind the others right now. Itzel, Nat and I are fairly even with each other but we're very far behind the rest of the skaters. I'm going to keep going just because I'm improving so much, but I can feel a second recruitment period coming on for me. It sucks, but at the same time I recognize that it's best that we not skate in a bout until our skills improve. I still suck at jumping, but our one-on-one instructor of the day assured me that she's never had to full-out jump over someone. Step over limbs? Yes. Jump over someone? No. Not that it's going to stop me from working on it. But tomorrow when I get home from work, I'm going to find a nice area of grass and just work on jumps off-skates. I jumped today and had a wicked fall on my tailbone. I'd prefer to never do that again.

We were able to skate with the rest of the girls for part of the day. I'm so conflicted when I'm skating with everyone else. Part of me is super excited because Hey, I'm doing this! Another part hates that, while I'm doing it, I'm much slower than most of the other girls. But I'm getting better. My endurance is improving, too. I mean, I still get winded before a lot of others, but I remember at the beginning of the year that I'd get winded just coming up the damned stairs. I mean, how ridiculous is that? No one should get to that point with their health. Hence me attempting derby.

Also, if you ever have sinus issues, skate hard on a hot day. I have a cold right now. I sniffled my entire way there, blew my nose a million times while putting on gear, but after getting warmed up, my sinuses basically cleared up. They're a mess again now that I've been home for a little while, but they're getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment