Thursday, September 1, 2011

Balancing life and derby

School started about a week ago, adding a bit of complication to my life/derby balance. Practices were moved awhile back to days when I have class, which means on those days I now go to for 9 hours, class for 3 hours, then derby for 2. It's exhausting. By Wednesday, I'm ready to just hibernate for the rest of the week. It doesn't help that this is the first semester that I've gone full-time since back in the day when I lived at home with my parents. I'm already falling behind in school, which is killing my inner Ravenclaw. If I would have come to this realization a week ago, I would have dropped my Econ and Judicial Process classes. I still would have one day each week where it's work/school/derby, but at least I would have time to catch up later in the week and still have something resembling a social life. As it is, I feel terrible because I can't do very many of the social things that many of the derby girls do. The little bit of free time I have generally goes to additional skate practice.

Right now, the other new girls are all scrimmaging. My roommate and I are the only ones who aren't. We're hanging out on the sidelines most of practice, which gets a little frustrating at times. I want to skate! At the same time, however, I recognize that I'm just not ready for it. I'm not comfortable with skating in a pack. I'm not quick enough to keep up. I'd be a danger to myself and others if I were to get out there. So for now, I'm watching and learning that way, and skating on the weekends whenever I get a chance. This past weekend, one of the other players who went through recruitment last cycle got out there and helped me a bit. She seriously worked wonders with me when it comes to sticky skating and getting comfortable on my skates!

Next personal goal: Speed or plow stopping. Not sure which.

No comments:

Post a Comment