Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Being a Ravenclaw does not help with roller derby

I warned you that there would be fandom crap in here, right?

Being a Ravenclaw does not help with roller derby. Not really. I've done a ton of research, watched videos on Youtube, etc. but that sort of stuff only gets you so far. It doesn't actually get you up on skates, it doesn't get you hitting hard, and it certainly doesn't get you onto a team (a fact I definitely know as I currently hold Honorary status on the team due to failure to pass minimum skills requirements.)

Recently, however, I was sorted into Pottermore as a Slytherin, the ambitious (and occasionally evil) house. I disagreed at first. (And by disagreed, I mean "sat in front of my computer in a catatonic state with the green Slytherin screen up.") But I've decided to embrace my new house. After a few weeks of getting used to the idea, I switched out my Universal Orlando annual pass lanyard for a green and grey striped one. This was a big moment for me; I've rocked my Ravenclaw one for a year since the park first started selling them.

As nerdy and slightly crazy as it sounds, the new house has also given me a level of confidence that I didn't feel before. As a Ravenclaw, one holds confidence in their intelligence and wit. I still have that, but now that I'm embracing the ambitious Slytherin side, I'm even more determined to get what I want. And what I want is to be on the Psycho City Derby Girls, not as an Honorary member, but as a full-fledged, scrimmaging and bouting team member.

No comments:

Post a Comment