Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Review: Riedell Toe Guards

I bought a set of Riedell toe guards at the rink in Kissimmee when I was there for an open skate session since the rink we skate at for practice does not allow us to use tape on our skates. I skate on Sure Grips which are a little too wide for traditional toe snouts, so I just picked up the standard style toe guards.

These things were awful.

For one thing, they felt really flimsy on my skate. No matter how much I tried to tighten things down, they kept slipping all over the place. I was certain that a good fall would rip them up. They never did rip but that's because I had to take them off in the first hour of practice.

Why?

Because when I did a knee fall, the light blue color of the toe guard left blue skid marks on the rink.

>.<

The owners absolutely *baby* our rink. It's so well cared for that I felt instantly guilty for it. Luckily, we were in the beginner's rink so I didn't fuck up the actual rink. But still - even the beginner's rink is a million times better than the rink we used to skate on.

Now I don't know what I'm going to do with these toe guards. I still need toe guards desperately because the constant falling is killing my skates, but now I can't return these ones because they're very definitely used (they have a huge scuff on them) and I can't afford new ones because of the upcoming physical therapy costs. Boooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment