Thursday, January 3, 2013

Everything changes...

You may have noticed some changes on this blog. The blog started as... well, to be honestly, it started as an attempt to squat on this address, just to maintain my name on as many social media networks as possible. Once I started writing, I focused almost entirely on roller derby here before I disappeared.

The reason I stopped writing isn't because I've dropped derby. I'm still reffing. You'll still see that here. However, I'm finding my time is being drawn into a number of different directions. I still want/need a place to release my thoughts but initially wanted to maintain the integrity of the theme I started here.

So instead I just didn't post. Because, you know, that helps, too.

I'm now facing the thought that my time in derby might be limited. I have five classes left in school. With my work schedule, I can only manage 2-3 classes at a time. It's becoming increasingly difficult to avoid taking classes on derby nights. I foresee a break from derby in my future. I actually took one at the end of last semester due to falling behind in my classes from an overabundance of vacations and it's been difficult to get back, to say the least. The only thing that's pulled me back is my small circle of friends and a couple of our local refs. Even if I do manage to avoid classes on practice nights, I'm not getting the skate time and rules study time outside of practice that is necessary to do well in the sport. (Entirely my fault, it should be noted. I could make time for it, but find myself less and less inclined to do so.) I'm considering my options. I can A) make the time and continue to skate, B) become a NSO, C) take a break or D) quit permanently. I'll certainly keep in touch and discuss my decision.

I'm still leaning towards continuing, but every day it's hitting me how old I'm getting. There's so much in the world I want to see and do. My life goal has always been to see the world. It seemed impossible as a child. We never had the money to travel outside of the state unless we were visiting family in the neighboring state. Even then it was only my grandmother that could afford to go, not my parents, so grandma and I would pick up and make the four hour drive south. Those trips gave me a taste of travel and now, finally, I'm reaching a point where I may be able to do so. A few years ago, I went with my best friend Shae to New Orleans, a city I always dreamed of seeing as a child, for a Harry Potter conference. Two years ago, I went on a (free!) Greek adventure, touring Athens, parts of the Greek coastline, and one of the local islands. Later that same year, I went on my first cruise and stayed for a few nights in the Bahamas. Last year (just a few months ago, really!), I went to Hawaii. My aunt and I have become travel buddies. This year, she wants to go to Puerto Rico. I'm also going to New Hampshire for a Harry Potter conference, but we're doing it as a mini-road trip. (I say "mini road trip" because I'm flying to DC where a friend will pick me up. We'll head from there to New Hampshire, stopping somewhere in between for the night.)

I also had a friend tell me about a blog she's reading where the writer does something new for every year of her life. I turn 31 this year, so I've decided I want to try to do 31 new things this year before my birthday. Some of them will be boring. Some will be exciting. But I'll blog about them all, as well as my other adventures, here.

It's going to be an amazing year.

6 comments:

  1. School should be your priority. And you must be getting worn out from your never-ending schedule.

    As for derby... I get it (as you know).

    It's hard when you have so many hobbies you're passionate about trying to find the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is. I want to do everything, but it's obviously not possible. It's also a struggle when you start feeling your age. I used to be able to stay up until two in the morning and be okay for work at 8, but not anymore.

    I am old people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sort of feel about faire the way you seem to feel about derby. I wanted to be back this year, but at this point, I doubt I will be -- I haven't started a new gown, and honestly, I'd rather spend that money on stuff for Misti. Faire is such an investment, both of time and money, and with gas prices as high as they are, I just don't think I can make the trip that many weekends. It's sort of sad, but sort of okay, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. Hell, I feel that way about faire, too. Faire eats your life. You have neither the time nor the money to do anything else during that time period BUT faire. In some ways, faire is much worse. I mean, you don't lose a couple of hours a couple of days a week. You lose your entire weekend for approximately 16 weeks. That's huge!

      But, I have to admit, in some ways doing faire was easier, just because there was an end in sight. Derby, unlike any other sport I've played, is year round, which means the commitment continues with only a short two week break during the winter. That's it. It was easier to throw myself into faire knowing that eventually I'll get to do other things. Derby just... never ends.

      Delete
  4. one of my team mates just quit over the weekend... which delays my ability to think about quitting. We only have 8 uninjured, eligible players for our upcoming bout.

    ReplyDelete